This Beginners online sewing course is tailored for people wanting to learn to sew at home, without any time pressure.
This sewing course teaches you everything necessary for starting a relaxing new hobby – all from the privacy of your own home. Unlike other courses, you have six months to complete it. This allows you to progress at your own pace. There’s no pressure to keep up with a group or weekly modules.
It doesn’t matter where you live provided you have internet access. The beginners online sewing course can be viewed on a desktop, tablet, laptop or a smart phone as often as you like over a six-month period. You will need access to a printer for printing PDFs.
This Beginners online sewing course is ideal for:
Anyone with mental health issues such as anxiety or depression.
I understand that you have good days and not-so-good ones. This sewing course has been designed for you. You can dip in and out at your leisure. Do more when you’re well, and less when you’re not.
People with disability or chronic health conditions.
With six months to complete the course, you can take your time and work around medical and therapy appointments. There’s no pressure to keep up. You can complete this online course entirely from the convenience of your home.
Anyone wanting to learn to sew at their own speed.
Maybe you’re busy with young kids, caring for a loved one or simply want to take your time to learn a fulfilling hobby. This beginner sewing course is perfect for you, too.
The benefits of this course include:
- You learn the essentials of sewing at a speed that suits you, from the comfort of your home
- Everything you need is provided (apart from a sewing machine), so there’s no need to go out to the shops
- It is run entirely online, so you can do the modules when and where it suits you
- You will learn the sewing skills to make clothes that suit your style and shape
- Unlike sewing lessons on YouTube, this sequential course steps you through the basics. You learn to get the fundamentals right before moving on to more complex techniques
- The course platform provides full support and the opportunity to participate in the discussion group – share your ideas, ask questions and show off your fabulous creations!
- Course members get monthly tips and tricks via the platform and discounts on all future courses
- By the end of the 15-module sewing course, you’ll have learnt all the skills you need to be a confident sewer.
Everything for the Beginners online sewing course is supplied all you need is a Sewing machine.
In 15 modules, you’ll learn everything you need for basic sewing, including:
- General sewing tools and equipment
- All about your sewing machine
- Winding a bobbin and threading the machine
- How to sew stitches, gathering, darts and zippers
- Measuring yourself for a pattern, knowing your size
- Reading the back of a pattern
- Buying fabric and haberdashery
- Laying out a pattern on fabric and understanding its instructions
- What pattern markings are and what they mean
- Hand sewing
- Sewing on a button and buttonholes
- And much more
I’ll provide everything you need, including:
- Sewing tools:
- Dressmaking scissors
- Paper scissors
- Hand sewing needles
- Quick unpick
- Tape measures
- Dressmakers pins
- All the fabric samples for sewing on
- Skirt fabric and pattern
- Zippers and Interfacing
- Sewing terminology booklet
It doesn’t matter if your machine is computerised or manual – both types are covered in the course.
Sewing tools pack
By the end of this course, you’ll have the skills and knowledge to confidently tackle sewing tasks you didn’t think were possible. Feel inspired about not only learning to sew, but also about discovering what your sewing machine can do. Remove any sewing nerves with our very practical, structured and sequential teaching method.
The health benefits of sewing
Learning to sew means you can make beautiful clothes that suit your shape and personal style.
Not only that, sewing is wonderfully relaxing and great for your mental health. Mental illness is incredibly common. According to the Black Dog Institute, 20 per cent of Australians aged 16-85 experience a mental illness in any year.
Mounting research has shown the health benefits of crafts like sewing.
Learning to sew is good for you because:
- The relaxed concentration eases your mind into a “flow” state that’s a little like meditation.
- It offers a perfect balance between skill and challenge. This distracts you from worries or depressive thoughts, allowing your mind to “reset” to a more positive state.
- Learning a new skill gives you a sense of achievement. With every module you will accomplish something that you couldn’t do before.
- Creativity that requires concentration may release the body’s feel-good chemicals that improve your mood.
- Creative activities may have the ability to reduce the mild cognitive impairment that’s sometimes associated with aging.
- Studies have shown that people doing craft report a range of psychological benefits, including relaxation, stress relief, a sense of acheivement, connection to tradition, reduced anxiety, and increased happiness and confidence. They also report better memory, concentration and problem-solving ability.
- Textile crafts increased self-esteem, engagement, sense of wellbeing and the ability to live positively with their condition in people with chronic fatigue syndrome, depression and other long-term health problems.
- Sewing develops hand-eye coordination and helps to keep your fingers nimble.
- Being part of a supportive and encouraging online community builds your sense of social connection.
- Sewing is an ideal way to take a break from the overload of smart devices. You are doing something purposeful and giving your mind a chance to relax.
- It provides the opportunity to do something for yourself. We all need a break from daily responsibilities. Sewing is the ideal way to take some healthy “me time”.
What students say about our online course
I wanted to learn something new, something I had never done before and that’s when I came across Sew n Sew.All the modules are explained so well that someone like me, who had never even sewn a button before; could make a skirt for myself.The course taught me how to use a sewing machine properly,the basics of sewing and reading patterns. Christeen has been very helpful & supportive throughout the course.
I am glad I took up the course. I can’t wait to finish and share the pictures of the new project I’m working on right now.
Thank you very much Christeen
The Pajama pants opposite is the first garment that Zahra made after completing the course.
Thank you Christeen for the amazing course that I learnt so much from.
It was so easy to understand and the videos were so clear. I had tries other sewing courses before but they never had any of the skills that I have learnt from you. I have been sewing for my family and they are so proud of me. Thank you again.
Thank you very much for a very clearly instructed and well structured online course. Based on the skills that I learnt I made this dress and pants for my daughter. Thank you again
“An extremely well-constructed online sewing course with simple step by step instructions. For anyone who would like to be able to sew a garment from a pattern this course will definitely give you the necessary skills. It is methodical and moves slow enough that you can easily grasp the concepts and follow along. It was great having all the materials for the course with clear labels on the different pieces of the fabric in order to systematically achieve the various steps.”
“I would like to thank you so much for these classes online. You explained it all very well. I used to sew my children’s clothes and some simple pants for myself, but I took shortcuts and didn’t think I needed to use the notches, darts etc. now I find it gives the best possible outcome and will sew properly all the time. Can’t wait to start making more clothes. Thank you so much Christeen and the video taping is spot on too.”
“I had completed other classes, learning how to how to sew a bag and cushion cover, but no one actually covered all the necessary elements of garment construction, basic pattern understanding, cutting of patterns etc… until I found Sew n Sew. With each module focusing on a goal, I developed the skills and independence to try new things. Sew n Sew was a brilliant choice. The step by step video modules made the course easy to follow. If I had any questions Christeen was always ready to help via the private Facebook page and was quick to reply. The online sewing was a great success. I have completed a dress, a skirt and a pair of PJ shorts.”